Reds Face Chelsea In FA Cup Final

Up for grabs...
As if you didn't know there's an FA Cup Final on Saturday and Liverpool are only bloody well in it! After successfully knocking out Everton in the semi finals the Reds are ready to square up against Di Matteo's Chelsea at Wembley.

Liverpool's league form this season has been pretty terrible and so for most fans the past few weeks have just consisted of Wembley dreams. After winning the Carling Cup at Wembley, we've already had a taste of the glory and beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final would surely top this.

Luckily for Liverpool Dalglish has no shock injuries or suspensions to worry about with only Lucas and Adam unavailable. Chelsea are without Luiz and Cahill but don't have any other concerns.

The last time the two sides met almost coincidentally was in the League Cup. In November Liverpool put two past the London side with Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Kelly on the score sheet.

The last time Chelsea beat Liverpool was in May 2010 and to be fair to the Reds they have a decent record against Chelsea in all competitions. Liverpool can also boast a win the last time both sides met in the FA Cup.

Stat Sandwich

  • If Liverpool win they will be the first club to win the FA Cup & League Cup double, twice.
  • This is Chelsea's 11th FA Cup final.
  • If Liverpool win we would over take Manchester United's record of 15 domestic cup final wins.

Di Matteo has been questioned a lot this past week over the decisions on his line up and it appears he seriously doesn't know who to start. The main problem appears to be with the forwards because most people believe Drogba and Torres can't start together and after Torres has found a bit of form, it will be interesting to see what the Chelsea manager decides to do.

Some would argue that playing Torres in form against his former club is the best idea, for the mind games at least but I personally disagree. If I was the Chelsea manager I'd start Drogba, Drogba gets on players nerves and he's strong and we all know that he can dupe Skrtel, Carragher and Agger, we've seen it done. Torres on the other hand, he may be in form but the lads in Red know all his tricks of the trade and I feel if anything there'd be more determination to stop him and more success in doing so, but what do I know ay Mr Matteo? Maybe I'm playing mind games too...

For Dalglish, he surely has to go with the combination of Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard. Their link up play in the Norwich game was brilliant and a worrying sight for any upcoming opposition. I'd personally also start Carroll together with Suarez because unlike Di Matteo's problem, I feel Suarez and Carroll can compliment each other.

There's a lot of talk about the defence, the partnership of Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel has been awesome this season and has kept stalwart Jamie Carragher out for most of it but I am almost certain that the number 23 will feature at some point, especially if a lead is created.

With Reina between the sticks Liverpool have a man who knows Chelsea all too well and I honestly think we can do it.

There are many panicking and thinking that Di Matteo's takeover has spurred on the Chelsea side, I agree, it has. But Liverpool have no need to fear a Chelsea side at Wembley, the Reds can recall many a glorious final and they know how to handle Chelsea if they put their minds to it. 

What's most important for me is an early goal. Against some sides we may be able to afford some missed chances (it's been occurring too often in the league) but with Chelsea, this can't happen. Liverpool have no problem whatsoever in creating pressure, they've done it against every team they've faced so far this season, even if results haven't been great, but what they can't afford to do is fail on accuracy.

Luis Suarez may well have scored a sublime hat trick against Norwich but it's Saturday's sort of game that requires a tap in or a lucky header. Of course I have no qualms if he wants to score from the half way line...

Whatever happens on Saturday it's sure to be an intense summer for Liverpool.

Enjoy the match folks! For those of you going to Wembley I am so envious! 

I'm going up to Liverpool with my brother to watch in the pub, I'm so excited, it's all I've been able to think about since I bought the train tickets on Monday. I believe we can do it, I just hope we do!

I shall be wearing my new "lucky scarf" too. My Uncle Malcom gave it me years ago but it's always just been pinned on my wall. However when we went up to Liverpool to watch the Carling Cup final I fancied wearing it and so took it off the wall, we won! Then, when I watched the semi final against Everton I wore it and we won again.

The last two times I've wore this scarf, we've won at Wembley and so I'm bloody wearing it on Saturday!

COME ON LADS!